Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Traditions

When I was a little girl we had what I would describe today as a whirlwind Christmas. The funny thing is I remember this as being fun, not taxing or boring... I wonder what my parents thoughts are on this... especially if they had to work the next day. The day began really early dark early.. I believe we were to my Aunt Lorraine's by 7am .. but it went something like this. We would get up and see what santa brought, most always in new PJ's that we were allowed to open on Christmas Eve. Then we would open the wrapped gifts.. After a few minutes of ewwing and awing it was time to get dressed. We made our beds and neatly stacked our gifts on the bed for people to parade by and look at later on. Then we headed over to my Aunt Lorraine's to open gifts there. My Uncle Gayle would make "Tom & Jerry's" for the adults to drink. I could not wait to be old enough to have one of those, after all there are made with eggnog so they must be yummy.... well not so much. Yuck!!!!!!!!!!!!! After that we headed to my Uncle Bud's and Aunt Bessie's for the much treasured Christmas Breakfast with the Brems' family. My Grandma Sadie began this tradition many years before but she died when I was eight so I really only remember going to Aunt Bessie's. Keep in mind that this was
Breakfast with all Aunts, Uncles, Cousins and what ever friends we may have been able to drag with us. After Breakfast we would stop at each and everyone of my Dad's siblings homes to see what they got for Christmas (that is why you put your gifts on your bed) And yes we would get gifts at each and every house. Holy cow I'll bet that was expensive. Our house was one of the last on the route because my Dad was the youngest (almost) I guess... so we would arrive back at our house in the late afternoon and then finally you could play with some of your new stuff... but not for very long because after a couple of hours it was off to someplace else. As my cousins began getting married we added their homes to the mix... and then finally there got to be just to many people and the gift buying go to expensive.. So we started going out to Breakfast a couple of weeks before Christmas. My Parents began the Traditional Christmas with just our family... so mostly my kids will remember going to my Parents for Christmas Breakfast and just hanging out at Grandmas we tried the going to every one's house but that really did not last very long. So that was Christmas at the Brems household.

This year the torch has been passed and we will begin to have Christmas Breakfast at the Yeates home... so if you love Pigs in the Blanket with Country Gravy... just stop on by I am sure there will be plenty ..

1 comment:

Meredith said...

We used to sleep over with all my cousins on Christmas Eve and open presents together the next morning. I don't know how my parents could stand all the craziness with all the kids and transporting all the gifts and everything. That sounds so not fun to do with my kids. But my parents said they loved it, and I loved it as a kid too. Pigs in a Blanket sounds yummy! Have fun!

 

fentanyl