Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Rare Treasure

Today my Mother shared with me a rare treasure. It seems that my Father was a scrap-booker. I can't tell you how priceless this book is. It has pictures from my Dad's later teenage years and his early twenties. He carefully taped or glued in the photos and then made notations along the side or under them. He drew little hearts and wedding bells. He has a copy of my parents wedding invitation, and the napkin with their names printed on it. There is a post card of the Motel they stayed at. It has bits of his thoughts about his wife and family. It was absolutely the most endearing thing I have ever seen in all my life. I love that book. If there would be anything in this entire world I could have of my Dad's it would be this treasure of a book.

I love that I share this little "hobby" with both my parents. I always knew my Mom had a "Book of Remembrance" and the books that I have from Jr. High and High School resemble her book. I have never in my life seen this book of my Dads.

I learned that he was quite a sentimental guy, and I am sad that I had no idea of this. I always knew that he was quite the flirt... but I guess I never really thought about him being like that his entire life.

My Mom wonders why he picked her out of all those women.. but I don't. She is strong and stable. She is patient and kind. She works hard and she loves you with her whole heart. Much of this I have also witnessed or at least paid more attention to since my Dear Dad passed. I never remember my Dad speaking badly about my Mom. My Dad loved my Mom more than life. They were a great example. They kissed often, they teased each other and they always always said "I LOVE YOU".

I miss you Dad... I love you with my whole heart. Thank you for the lessons you are still teaching me.

I wonder if my family knows how much I love and cherish them.... hmm I guess I better let them know.

1 comment:

Cory&SadieK said...

I remember hearing a little about Grandpa's love life and then I begged him and Grandma to show me some pictures. I loved looking at Grandpas little book, but I've never seen Grandma's--I;ll have to ask her about it.

I'm learning more about how I've taken advantage of having the awesomest Grandparents in the world. I didn't realize how blessed I am--but I do now and my whole life has been changed. I miss you Pa!!!

 

fentanyl