Yesterday in church we had a lesson on baptism. (Which was excellent by the way.) Several people recounted the day they were baptised and how they felt. I, like many members of the LDS church, was baptised when I was 8. I know this because it is recorded on my church records, and I believe I have a certificate that says so. But my memory of the day is zip zero nada.......... and this makes me sad. I know my Dad was able to baptise me and I know it was in March. But I don't remember what I wore, who was there or if we did anything special. I don't recall stepping into the font. And unfortunately I do not remember how I felt. I can vaguely remember feeling excitement and anticipation, but nothing about feeling renewed, refreshed and clean.
I do know that I was confirmed the next day in Sacrament meeting. My Dads good friend Jim Giles (Big Jim) was able to perform the confirmation. I remember a little bit more about this day, but not much more. I remember I wore an orange and white gingham dress. I remember being surrounded by men in dark suits with their hands upon my head. I remember when I stood up my legs had stuck to the chair and made a terrible slurpee suction noise when I stood up. I received a Book of Mormon from my Bishop, Bishop Jorgensen. I know this only because I still have that old blue soft cover Book of Mormon with the bishop's signature on the inside cover.
I wish I could remember more, but I guess the important thing is I was baptised and I have had other witnesses of the spirit that I do remember that testify to me of the truths I have been taught.
Thank you Mom and Dad for seeing that I was baptised at when I was 8.
If you would like to learn more about baptism and my church please go here.
Graduation
10 years ago



1 comment:
I kind of remember being baptized. I remember that I was afraid that I would have to do it twice. I remember being comfirmed by Grandpa. He laid his hands on my head so hard.
Post a Comment