Brigham Young said this in speaking of agency This is a law which has always existed from all eternity, and will continue to exist throughout all the eternities to come. Every intelligent being must have the power of choice"(Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe [1954], 62).
There are times when I wish it was not true. However not all consequences are bad. Like the consequence of mixing flour,sugar, butter, soda, and chocolate chips make a treat that most people enjoy a lot. The consequence of actually practicing your musical instrument is being able to actually make music with it.
Jacob, the brother of Nephi, declared in the Book of Mormon, “Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves—to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life” (2 Nephi 10:23).
Some consequences stay with us for a long time some forever. For example take a person that used their agency to abuse drugs and alcohol for a good portion of their life. Now that person might be older and somewhat wiser, but the abuse to that persons body is non reversible. If you chose to spend more than you make the consequence will be many many long years of paying off the debt.
As you are free to make your choice, often times you are not free to choice your consequence. More often that not if you have made wrong choices others will determine your consequences for you. In essence you loose control of your life and very possibly your choices.
Consequences often do not just affect the "offender" but those close the them as well. This is the part that almost seems unjust. And this is where the concept of forgiveness steps in.
Sunday we studied Matthew 18. I'll have to admit I am struggling with this not just a little but a lot.
Does forgiveness mean now? Does it mean things just move on as if it never happened? Does it mean many more great changes? Does it mean it could take a life time or longer? Is there a time limit. How do you know you have forgiven someone. So many questions...so much to work on.
I guess it is a good things that I have these to help me out,






2 comments:
I enjoyed your thoughts. Tony and I have been contemplating this as well.
Most often in life it's the hard, HARD things that turn our focus to Christ. I loved reading your thoughts. Amazing what we can learn in this life, I think we have a lifetime to learn what we need to know. I've learned alot just watching you.
Post a Comment