Tuesday, May 10, 2011

exercise

If you can have a testimony of exercise... then I have one. I have not always had one. If fact if you would have talked to me about exercise 3 years ago I would have told you it was something others did. Not me because I did not possibly have the time or the desire, however I was tired of being fat. Then one night I was watching biggest loser on TV (and probably stuffing my face full of crap). They were running a marathon... and I said to myself ... "I used to run" I remember I liked running. If these people on Biggest Loser can run then so can I. So I recruited my son in law to run with me. I wanted to try a half marathon, but the next one was in only 5 weeks and I thought it was a little ambitious, so we signed up for a 5k. And then the 10k for the Deseret News Marathon on July 24th ... and wala my love on running was launched.

So you may ask where is that testimony you were talking about. I just realized tonight that I LOVE exercise. I have been running pretty steady for about 2 years now. I have also tried spinning which I also love. About a month ago I was snow skiing with my Son in Law. On the first run out I twisted my ankle when I hit a snow bank.. on second thought it was an ice bank. My foot turned in my ski popped off and my foot hurt a lot. In my head I was saying "oh my stars that hurt" "Please don't be broken". So I got my ski and put it back on all the while praying that I could still ski. Well I could stand on my foot and I could turn even though it hurt a bit. So we skied the rest of the day. When I got home I saw the damage was one giant sized ankle that was quickly becoming a cakle and a might nice shade of black and blue. But I could still apply pressure and move my toes so I figured it was not broken....

But this did hamper my running, and even my walking. So I spent the next week on my butt with my foot in the air. I did have an xray to confirm it was not broken. And the the next week it still was swollen and I still did NO exercise at all. Then came Saturday April 30 and I had a 5k. I taped and braced my foot intending to run but in the end I did not. And that began 3 weeks of doing nothing. Then on May 5th another 5k and this one I ran.

The next day I ankle was pretty sore and I questioned my wisdom in running. But then suddenly Friday night my ankle felt a ton better. I am not sure what happened but I think it was stretching those muscles that worked.

So back to the testimony, I was beginning to feel pretty crappy, I was not sleeping well and I was gaining weight I could not afford to gain back. I made a vow to eat better (hence going organic but that is another blog post) and to exercise every day. Monday I did 3 miles on the elliptical and Tuesday I went spinning... I CAN NOT BEGIN TO TELL YOU HAVE GREAT I FEEL AFTER JUST TWO DAYS.

If you are thinking that exercise is not for you.... please think again you will not be sorry. Go for a walk, join a gym, get a yoga cd.. but do something. Your body and mind will love you for it.




3 comments:

Cory&SadieK said...

Yay for exercise!! Pretty inspiring little lady.

Heather said...

Your awesome.

Meredith said...

I am totally with you Dottie! It is so worth the work and now I couldn't live without it. Yeah for the Biggest Loser!

 

fentanyl